A lot of my soft toys are made using felt, especially in my book Happy Quilts. I like the smooth finish felt gives my toys, but this doesn’t mean you have to use it. All of the projects will turn out just fine using cotton or other fabrics such as fleece or corduroy.
Occasionally something comes along, like the Mermaid’s hair, that might cause you some concern. So I thought I would do a little step-by-step guide to making the hair from cotton. This method will work just as well for the Princess’ braids.
- Cut (2) 2in x 12 1/2in strips from the fabric you have chosen for the Mermaid’s hair.
- Gently press both strips in half lengthwise with right sides facing.
- Stitch down the long edge of both strips using a 1/4in seam.
- Turn the strips right side out and press well. Topstitch close to the edges on both strips. Press again.
- Cut (6) 4in strips for the hair.
- Loop the hair in half and continue following the instructions in the pattern. Easy Peasy!
Diagram 1 – Steps 1, 2 and 3.
Diagram 2 – Steps 4, 5 and 6.
You can use this method for the Princess’ braids too. Cut as many braids as you need, then at Step 3 stitch across one short end. This will give the braid a neat end/finish when you turn it right side out. Of course you don’t need to trim the braid into 4in lengths!
Always email me if you are having any troubles and I will do the best I can to help. Have a wonderful weekend everyone, I’m hoping to get some time to play with elephants! toni xx